Have you ever experienced a sudden red bulge on your face just before any occasion? If that bulge grows in size and ruins your mood always; turns out to be painful, then those devils are called as pimples. Teenagers face the problems to a great extent. Acne is the skin condition characterized by red pimples on the skin, especially on the face, due to inflamed or infected sebaceous glands.
What is Acne and how it is formed?
Acne is basically the inflammation of skin as a result of overactivity of the oil glands at the base of specialized hair follicles.The sebaceous glands get active when a person reaches his or her puberty. Acne happens when oil (sebaceous) glands come to life. These glands are stimulated by male hormones that are produced in the adrenal glands of both boys and girls.The oil glands, which are located just beneath the skin, continuously produce and secrete oil through openings in the skin. The oil lubricates and protects the skin. Under certain circumstances, cells that are close to the openings of the oil glands block the openings. This causes the building up of oil underneath the skin. Bacteria, which live in everyone’s skin, feast on this oil, multiply and cause the surrounding tissues to become inflamed.
If the inflammation is right near the surface, you get a pustule; if it’s deeper, a papule (pimple); deeper still and it’s a cyst. If the pore of the affected hair follicle is closed to the surface, the result is a ” whitehead.” If the pore is wide open, oil becomes oxidized (that is, acted on by oxygen in the air), the oil changes from white to black, and the result is a “blackhead.”Acne is also referred to as pimples.
Causes behind the formation of acne
There are various reasons which fuel the growth of acne. Some factors are caused due to internal disturbances, while some are the consequence of external occurrences. Some well-known factors are as follows:
- Hormonal changes or disturbances is one of the foremost reasons of acne accumulation. Acne appears during pregnancy, menstruation and if you are on birth control pills.
- Greasy cosmetic products have chemicals which are not skin friendly and gradually increments the sebum secretion.
- The condition can also worsen with humid, hot climate as well as stress. Stress is the reason you get a new pimple right before your big date.
Home remedies for curing acne
There are many ways you can treat acne and control the growth of it. People prefer natural products over man made to cure pimples. They find it effective, less harmful and cost efficient. Some of the very common home remedies to fight acne are as follows:
Papaya for pimples
All you need to do is find a fresh papaya. They are skin friendly. The enzyme papain in papaya helps prevent pus formation and reduces inflammation. It removes excess lipid and dead skin from the skin surface, clearing the skin and leaving it smooth.
Papaya mask for a pimple free skin
- Take a papaya.
- mash it till you get a semi-liquid consistency
- apply it all over your face and leave for 15-20 minutes
- warm your face with lukewarm water
- apply moisturizer after washing as this pack causes dry skin.
Lemon application for acne free skin
Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C. They dry up the pimples fast. You need to squeeze fresh lemon rather than bottled lemon juices which contains preservatives in it.
How to use lemon for acne reduction
- you need to dip a clean cotton ball in lemon juice and dab all over the affected areas before going to sleep.
- You can also mix one tablespoon of lemon juice with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and put it on the pimples overnight. In the morning, wash the skin well with lukewarm water. However, this particular remedy is not suitable for those with sensitive skin.
Toothpaste to get rid of pimples fast
Toothpaste helps in making the pimples dry and accelerates the healing process. It has anti-bacterial properties which kill all the harmful bacteria present in it. You just need to apply non-gel based toothpaste over the affected area with the help of a cotton ball and leave it overnight. You need to wash your face with lukewarm water next day.
Apple cider vinegar to prevent acne prone skin
Apple cider vinegar has same anti-bacterial properties like lemon juice. Hence, it is helpful for pimple reduction. It has anti-fungal properties. You need a little quantity of it and dilute it as per the sensitivity of your skin. Apply it all over your face with cotton. Wash it warm water after leaving for about 15-20 minutes. Apple cider vinegar has an access to multiple benefits over the skin. It helps in reducing age spots, wrinkles.
Baking Soda for decreasing acne
Baking soda is the natural, cheap and easily available method for acne reduction. Moreover, it doesn’t contain any harmful agents. It helps in exfoliation, it reduces inflammation, and it clears up the skin. All you have to do is use warm water and baking soda to make a paste. Then, apply the paste to your skin like a mask. Leave it on for up to an hour, and then rinse. You will be amazed by seeing the results.
Usage of tea tree essential oil for acne reduction
Tea tree oil is great for the treatment of acne and pimples. It soothes your skin and reduces the inflammation and redness. The anti-bacterial properties of tea tree oil help fight the acne causing bacteria. It will also help in drying out the whiteheads and blackheads.
Direction for using tea tree oil for acne reduction
- You can directly apply Tea Tree oil on the affected area using a cotton ball. Just dip it in the oil and dab it on the skin. After 15 to 20 minutes, rinse it off completely.
- Take a tablespoon of aloe vera gel and add a few drops of Tea Tree oil to it. Apply this on the affected area and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse it off using warm water. Please note, you should stay away from Tea Tree oil if you have sensitive skin.
Few garlic cloves are helpful for acne reduction
Garlic is a good remedy for acne as it contains antibacterial properties. You can apply it on the acne and pimples to reduce it. It will be smelly, but it is effective.
Application of garlic on face to reduce pimples
- Take a garlic clove. Cut it into thin slices and rub it on the affected areas. Leave for about half an hour and wash it with lukewarm water.
- Take few cloves of garlic, crush it up and extract its juice. Now apply it to the affected areas using a cotton ball.
- You can crush the cloves and place it in water for around 10 minutes. Now, take a cotton pad or a piece of cotton and soak it in that garlic water. Place this soaked cotton on the affected parts. If you want, substitute water with aloe vera gel and apply it directly to the face without using the cotton. You can also ingest a clove or two every day to treat acne.
Crushed Neem effective cure for acne
Neem is one of the most widely used anti-acne home remedies. Its leaves have anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and blood purifying properties and also work as a natural astringent. It cools down the skin and prevents you from getting pimples.
How to use Neem leaves for pimples
- Take few neem leaves and dry them under sunlight
- Crush the leaves into fine powder
- Take the powder and add some Multani mitti (Fuller’s earth)
- Add rose water to make the paste thick and apply it on the affected areas; let it dry naturally
- Leave for about 20 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water. It is beneficial for all skin types.
Preparation of a natural face wash to get rid of acne
One of the most important parts of the acne treatment is cleansing. As your skin is already inflamed and red due to the stubborn acne, store-bought chemical face wash will only worsen the condition. Instead, use the homemade face wash for better results.
- take 3 tablespoons of organic honey, 1 tablespoon coconut oil, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Add 20 drops of lavender essential oil and two capsules of live probiotics (you will get this online or in a medical store)
- Blend all the ingredients and store it in a jar in cool place. Use this homemade face wash twice a day every day to cleanse your skin.
Egg white as a good cure for pimples
Egg whites contain enzymes that reduce excess sebum production and control breakouts. They also unclog pores by drawing out impurities and dirt from the skin. The pimples dry out and heal quickly with this face mask.
Making of egg white mask for pimple reduction
- Take 2 eggs and 1 lemon
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks and add lemon juice. Mix well.
- Apply this mixture with the help of a brush and leave for 30 minutes.
- wash the face with lukewarm water
- Egg white can cause skin dryness after washing, you need to apply a good moisturizer.
Medical treatments vs. home remedies for acne
There are many ways in which you can achieve a flawless acne free skin. People look for dermatologists when they need any help related to their skin. Some to go for natural homemade products which lack the harmful chemicals. There is a very common misconception that natural or organic is good while man-made chemicals are harmful. Modern chemists are beginning to call this widespread belief as chemophobia, a distrust of chemicals or anything perceived to be a chemical. Essentially, anything has the potential to be dangerous; it all depends on how it is used or consumed. Naturally-derived extracts and oils can be created synthetically in laboratories without depleting the natural value. Everything is chemical, whether natural or man made; the key is to use the right percentages.
Foods you need to eat for acne reduction
A healthy diet that is rich in all nutrients will ensure that your skin is healthy and acne-free. Include the following in your diet:
- Whole grains
- Lean meat like fish and oysters
- Vegetables like sweet potatoes, green leafy vegetables, carrots, cucumber, asparagus, broccoli, and bell peppers
- Fruits such as berries, oranges, pumpkins, papayas, cantaloupes, apricots, peaches, and apples
- Walnuts, flaxseeds, roasted pumpkin seeds, roasted squash seeds, dried watermelon seeds
- Green tea
- Dark chocolate